Tuesday 18 November 2008

College Retreat

Last weekend was the Hartley Victoria College Retreat, at Parcevall Hall in Wharfedale. Off I went into what seems the middle of nowhere, for a chance to recharge the batteries a bit.

When I say the middle of nowhere - there's no mobile coverage (or very slight maybe), and it's so far into the countryside that you have a torch by your bed to use in case of a fire alarm or power cut! However it's also a beautiful setting, and with terrific food as well it's a good place to go for a retreat.

Probably the thing that I liked best though was the opportunity to do something creative for the worship on the Sunday Morning. I'd taken the camera, and took a number of photos in and around Parcevall Hall; several of us came together to arrange these into a slideshow and then speak some reflective words over the top. The result should be visible below - sorry about the lack of volume!



I can't take any credit for choosing the words - that goes to Bob, Jacqui and Jan. In order that they appear, they are:

1) A meditation by Alistair Maclean. It can be found in the Northumbria Community's Celtic Daily Prayer as one of the day of the month meditations.

2) A poem from Spoken Worship by Gerard Kelly.

3) A couple of sentences from The Cry of the Deer by David Adam.

4) A meditation from Times and Seasons, also by David Adam.

5) A passage from God at Eventide, an adaption of God Calling by Two Listeners, edited by AJ Russell.

In some ways, the fact that this was the part that I liked best is a bit of a challenge: how often do I include opportunities to create and contribute in worship? And is there anything I can do about that?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rob, it is a shame about the volume, but its a really good record of the weekend. I have watched it a couple of times now, and it reminds me of how peaceful it all was.
Allison

Anonymous said...

What wonderful memories. It was lovely seeing it all again. I was lucky the speakers that I have on my computer seem to to be able to play this at a reasonalbe volume. Thanks Rob.
Jacquie

Simon said...

More poems from Gerard Kelly free here and all his Amsterdam church's sermons are available free here.