Thursday 18 December 2008

A tale of two services

Monday and Tuesday saw me taking part in two Lunchtime Services in places that could hardly be more different!

The Monday Service was in some ways a blast from the past for me. I was invited to go back to the Pilkington Technology Centre, a place I had worked on and off for several years during my time with Pilkington, to preach at the on-site Christian Union's Carol Service. This is held in the historic Lathom Chapel which dates back to 1500. This is an annual event (they also hold a service at Easter) which I had been to (and even particiapted in) several times.

After 13 years as an employee it was strange to have to sign in and get a visitor's badge. The site has changed too - a large part of what was the Head Office in St. Helens had literally just moved in, so I got to see some bits that were still a construction site when I was there last.

The idea of change and journey had been incorporated into the service to reflect this, and I spoke a little about that in my few minutes; but also tried to put forward a message that God's priorities are different to ours, and encouraged people to try and give time to those they care about not just at Christmas but throughout the year. (This is something that I am constantly realising myself - sometimes when you prepare for a service you find things that challenge you at least as much as the congregation!)

From an ancient chapel in a rural setting on Monday, my destination on Tuesday was the Methodist Centre which is quite literally in the centre of Manchester - near Piccadilly Gardens in fact. They have a regular service on a Tuesday Lunchtime, and in December the Circuit Staff come together to lead the worship. Reduced by illness and other things, there were five of us who met up to prepare and then lead worship. My contribution was to take part in a sketch about the Three Kings (who are trying the patience of the producer of the nativity play by referring to Los Angeles because it's the City of David... and Victoria... and Brooklyn... and Romeo.... and other such alterations), and lead the congregation in saying the Magnificat (Mary's song of praise to God when she visits Elizabeth to tell her what is happening). There was no sermon as such; we tried instead to let the words of the Christmas Story do the talking.

Both seem to have been well-received, or at least no-one has told me otherwise. Now, I need to prepare for this Sunday Evening!

No comments: