Thursday 25 September 2008

Feed my Sheep - a meditation on Peter

(This was inspired by my Daily Devotions this morning, which included John 21:16)

"Feed my Sheep." That's what he told me. My life has been devoted to that command ever since.

I was hurt. I was confused. I was getting angry. There he was, the Master, the one who I had followed faithfully through, well, almost everything. As we sat there on the beach, he asked me if I loved him. How could I not? How could he not tell? Hadn't I been with him all through the good times and the bad?

Then I realised. That dreadful night when they arrested him; my attempt to mingle with the crowd; my denial of him. At that dark time I hadn't been with him; I had been trying to save my own skin by pretending I wasn't one of his followers. He had good reason to question me. I have never forgotten since how I failed him, that night in the courtyard when all looked lost.

So I have tried to feed his sheep. I have tried to help others understand what I saw - that Jesus was indeed the Christ, that he did die, and that he rose again. It's not been easy; even those with us at the time disagree on what they saw, what was said, what happened after. I haven't always got it right either - more than a few times I've had to be put back on the right track.

"Feed my sheep." I have tried, and some might say I have succeeded - after all, there's a lot more of us now. More to feed, but also more to do the feeding. Sometimes I wonder if they realise what an important task they have taken on. It's been hard enough for me, and I learnt from Jesus first hand - how much harder it is for those who never met him!

"Feed my sheep." I have tried Master, weak though I am. Now help me to keep on going, to keep on feeding, and to not lose sight of your command....

No comments: