Wednesday 3 September 2008

Meetings, Meetings, Meetings

It's sometimes said that one of the things that marks out Methodists is our meetings - specifically the number of them. Given that tonight I will be going to my third meeting in two days - and that one of those was an all-dayer - there may be some truth to that. However, it's not necessarily as bad as it may sound.

Back in the world of IT, meetings were simply part of the job. It did depend on my role, but certainly for management it seemed that whole days spent attending or preparing for meetings were just what it was all about. "Lonely? Bored? Don't know what to do? Hold a meeting!" said one ironic poster I saw a few years ago, and believe me there were times that it seemed to be just that. Meanwhile the meetings I have had so far have been useful, have allowed me to meet my colleagues, have provided plenty of useful information and food for thought.... there's nothing wrong with meetings so long as they are useful, and that they're not allowed to get out of control or last too long.

There's now a plan of action for the next couple of weeks, and plenty of people to contact as part of that - there's a few things to work out too, but for the moment I feel I at least I know where to start!

No comments: