Wednesday 24 September 2008

First Service

My first service at Clayton was last Sunday Morning, and from the reaction afterwards it seems to have gone OK, maybe even quite well. I was a little more nervous than normal, but then again this was my first appointment in the Circuit where I should be for the next five years.

Every church does things slightly differently, and so there were a few things to remember for the future: when the notices are for example, when any young people leave, that sort of thing.

While preparing, I realised in part what a difference my ongoing theological education is making. Once upon a time I would have looked at the readings, had a look at the Desperate Preachers site to see what others thought, and then had a think and pray. This time, being able to do this as part of my work and not just in a couple of evenings, I took down the Commentary that has been sporadically used over the last ten years and had a look... only to discover that I wasn't entirely satisfied with it. It didn't feel like there was enough depth, enough discussion of viewpoints other than that of the authors, or things to follow up on. This isn't to say that the commentary was useless - more that, after a couple of Biblical Studies modules as part of my course, a single volume covering the whole Bible isn't capable of providing the depth I am used to.

I have some academic commentaries already, but high on the priority list in terms of buying books will be making sure that I can at least cover the Gospels, major Epistles and some of the more used Old Testament books. The Luther King House Library may be just down the road at the moment, but it won't be that way forever!

No comments: