Monday 1 September 2008

Welcome to the Blog

Well, I suppose it was about time I had my own Blog, so here goes....

First of all, a bit about myself. I'm Rob, and I'm currently training to be a Methodist Minister in Manchester, UK. I'm in my mid 30s, married, and have two young children. Until recently I was in IT Support for a major multinational in the North-West, but now I have the opportunity to train part time and work as a Minister part time - so we've moved lock stock and barrel to Manchester!

I've decided to blog about my experiences partly in case anyone finds it interesting, and partly to provide myself with something I can go back to. I have never been someone to keep a diary, so how long this will last is anybodies guess. My aim is however to include my own observations and reflections on what goes on, as much as is OK to make public anyway, and also include any bits of meditation or creative writing from time to time. You will also be subjected to my own particular brand of humour, so be warned!

1st September is the start of the Methodist Year, so today has officially been my first day. In fact, we moved about two weeks ago (more about that later possibly) and have spent some time trying to get organised. Trying is the operative word here - I am not exactly a model of efficiency and if it wasn't for my other half I suspect I would still have been surrounded by boxes with just the computer unpacked.... I have learnt a few things already however.

1) When examining the contents of Filing Cabinets left by your predecessor, do not pile said contents on top of the cabinet. Once you have emptied a couple of drawers-worth out, it has a tendency to cascade down on your head.

2) When surrounded by paperwork that has just cascaded down around you, do not look for sympathy from you partner, who once assured that serious injury has not resulted will be helpless with laughter.

3) A house is not your home until you have what is important to you the way you want it. This may be in terms of furniture, pictures, ornaments, or having a working Dishwasher - but it matters. Seriously.

4) People will invariably offer advice. Listen to it, consider it, and then decide what parts of it you wish to accept. Bear in mind that all advice is well-meant, and is often from people who have experience of where you may be - but that at the same time your situation is not the same as anyone else.

5) Always be prepared to turn down requests if you have good reasons - just make sure your reasons are good ones!


No comments: