Tuesday 16 September 2008

A little project

"Have you got a Cross for your study?" The question came from someone from my old church, and it took me aback a little. I haven't, and hadn't really considered whether there should be. Given though that it's going to be somewhere I'm spending significant amounts of time working on sermons, assignments and other parts of my work on reflection I decided I should.

Rather than buy one though, I thought I'd try and get a bit creative. So on a short break in North Wales I did a bit of beach-combing and came back with some bits of driftwood and a small bit of slate. It is my intention to turn these into something for the study.

The Cross is of course central to the Christian Message, and when you look around you see plenty of them - whether worn as jewelry, hanging on the side of a church illuminated for all to see, or even in a study somewhere. Mine will not exactly win awards for design, but maybe it will capture something else: the discarded and unwanted pieces of detritus, combined and put together with care, becoming a symbol of the love of Christ.

All I've got to do now is make it.....

No comments: